[SATLUG] OT: GMail Labs Additions...

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Thu May 7 18:55:43 CDT 2009

Hey all,

This is not exactly SATLUG related (Although I know that some of you
use Gmail), but I wanted to pass along some of the cool features that
Google Labs have added to Gmail:

-- OFFLINE!!! -- Google GEARS integration of Gmail -- Handles "Flaky
Connections", as well as On/Offline.  Allows for full Gmail experience
without the net (ie Airplane!!) on all major OS's.  Love it so far.  I
use GEARS for offline Google Reader and RTM tasks as well.  The "Flaky
Connection Mode" really helps when I am in a weak cell area and the
connection is a little lossy.  Having the search capabilities of
GMail, along with the standard interface and even the Gmail Labs
addons is a BIG win.

-- Multiple Inboxes -- Places custom search boxes to right of regular
inbox.  For example: "is:unread from:satlug.org" gives me a custom
inbox for unread satlug.

-- Quick Links:  Basically stored queries that can be executed with a
single click.

-- Movable widgets: Can relocate Labels, Chat, and other widgets around.

There are a number of other Labs addons that I use, but those are the biggies.

Thanks!
jp