[SATLUG] Wireless bridges

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:04:35 CDT 2009

I'm a bit confused here...  If you have a wireless network available to
you, why not just install a wireless NIC on the machine in question?  My
own setup (3 machines) is a hybrid of wired and wireless on a Linksys
router:

ISP -> Cable modem -> Linksys WRT54GS -> System A (wired)

-> System B (wired)

-> System C (wireless)

-> Guest System(s) (either)
I've used Belkin, Linksys and Netgear wireless NICs to connect desktops
and towers to my network.

Conversely, if you have no router, but have both a wired and wireless
NIC in the same desktop, you should be able to setup some version of
internet connection sharing (ICS) on the Wireless NIC, and let your
desktop control access to the internet like a server:

ISP -> Cable modem -> System A wired NIC -> System A wireless NIC ->
System B.

Cheers;
Ed