[SATLUG] Cable TV on the computer

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 12:46:46 CDT 2009

DigiPic2000 is digital cable service.

The tuner is an analog tuner only, (depending on what Time Warner's
done with the channelmap in the area) you will get all channels lower
than 100.

If you are going to hook it up to your cable box to record stuff
you're watching, then this will fit the bill.  I would recommend
however using the composite connector.  I use a Hauppauge TV tuner
that looks strikingly similar to the one in the Ebay link.

If you are wanting to receive HD channels then you'll want a Digital
QAM tuner  but that will only pull in the HD local stations.  No
premium channels (Like HBO, Starz, etc) as they are encrypted.

I don't know what the state of Linux support for digital cable and
cablecards is, but if you are really looking to receive all subscribed
channels, you will need a digital tuner that is capable of using a
cablecard. The cablecard will be a horrendous pain in the posterior to
get working but it's one of those things that if you can get it
working and it works for a day after, then it will work till the thing
blows up, otherwise you'll be wrought with problems.

A cablecard is a small card, (think PCMCIA-esque) that is an
encryption module that is issued to you by the cable company.  It
serves to decrypt and authorize the digital encrypted channels that
you are subscribed to. It is required for digital channels above 100
that are encrypted and/or copy protected. (CCI) That being said, a
PCMCIA slot on your computer will NOT support a cablecard, it merely
uses the PCMCIA form factor to serve as a connection buss between the
card itself and the QAM tuner/MPEG decoder in the TV set (or PC as the
case may be.)

>From what limited knowledge I have about cablecards and PCs, I have
only seen a Windows Media Center PC take on a cablecard and actually
work with it in some usable form (disregarding a TiVo, which is Linux
based but the hardware and the software is largely proprietary.

In my setup here, I have my DVR hooked up to my HDTV via Composite and
my TV card in my PC connected to the DVR via the "cable out" on the
back of the DVR.  I fire up the TV application and tune to channel 3
and am able to see what the TV is showing, with the exception that all
HD channels are automatically downconverted into a standard signal.

Good luck!

FIRESTORM_v1