[SATLUG] complete system crash/failure HELP PLEASE!!!

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Sat May 9 18:04:54 CDT 2009

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> I hope someone will take me under wing!  Last night I had a complete
> system failure/crash!  I have no way to email and can only use a phone
> for help.  Right now I'm at Mom's but will be home in a few minutes to
> an hour.
>
> Iwrote down what I got when I tried to boot after the latest update..
>
> I saw there was 12 updates so I started update manager but it didn't
> install all the updates.  It asked me if I wanted to do the upgrade
> and I thought it said update so I said yes...I didn't know what that
> meant and was so tired I didn't realize it til later.  Required system
> restart which I did but then no booting, just the message below...No
> clude what happened.
>

>> init:1:/bin/sleep:not found
>>
> listed 9 times
>
>> segmentation fault
>>
> 3 times
>
>> check root=bootarg cat /proc/cmdline,or missing modules,devices:cat/proc/modules ls/dev
>> segmentation fault
>>
> 3 more times
>
>> Alert!/dev/disk/by-uuid/5d4b2ed0a-f3a8-4fd9-b205-24908c3a0630 does not exist
>> opping to ashell!
>> Busy Box v1.1.3 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu 12) built in shell (ash)
>> enter help for a list of built in commands
>> (initramf s)
>>

> Does anyone know what this means and if it can be fixed?  If so, since
> I have no PC at home would someone please call me and walk me through
> a possible fix..please???
>
> Thank you very much  cheryl  658-9290

Is anyone helping Cheryl? I live out of the area. She lives in the NE
area of SA and the reason she got into an upgrade is she is nearly blind
and has just undergone a severe bout with Lupas. I would try to help but
I dunno what to do to help her never having gone tru this. She can
follow on the phone with someone leading her out of the failed upgrade.
Thanks Herb