[SATLUG] OT: Boerne ISP's

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Sat May 16 13:57:49 CDT 2009

I quit there 2 years ago, so they might have expanded a bit more than I am
stating here.  GVTC provides cable modem internet service and FTTH
(Fiber-to-the-home) in some areas.  Businesses along the mainstrip has
access to FTTB (Fiber to the business). FIOS is Verizion's branded FTTH.
(its a name not a technology).   I won't say things were perfect while I was
there but I know that quite a few of us did (and they probably still do) try
and make the product as functional as possible.  I can't vouch for the
management staff (I have my own opinions about their intentions, and thus
part of the reason I'm not there anymore) but the employees and technicians
I knew did try to get the stuph running as well as possible.  Both the FTTH
and the Cable internet have a ~8Mbps service (or thats what it was 2yrs
ago).  The upstream connections to the internet were fairly signifigant
right as I left (I had just ordered a few OC3s) and I've heard rumor that
they are in the process of greatly enhancing that.

If you have a problem with their service, call and complain.  Make some
noise.  You are a member owner, that makes you the shareholder they are
responsible to, unlinke TWC and AT&T where you are just some common
customer.  I can't tell you how many service calls I had to take care of
because the customer was upset, and my job was managing the network and
servers.  They are there to serve their member owners.  Of which I am one.
Heck when I got the mail the other day that they are finally pulling fiber
into my neighborhood I was excited (I moved into a neighborhood that was one
of their last copper installs).

Anyways yeah...

-greg