[SATLUG] OT: Cheryl's System Crash

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Wed May 20 20:49:17 CDT 2009

On 5/20/09, Herb Cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> Al Castanoli wrote:
>
> > I think that depends on the implementation - the MacPup 412 version
> > seems fairly tidy.  The netbook remix I mentioned in the post you quoted
> > isn't running compiz-fusion, but rather has a very simple window
> > manager.
> >
> > Al Castanoli
> >

>  Al, FYI Cheryl has an AMD P4 desktop, I think a 1.2G and she has recently
> upgraded memory to 1.5GB (3x512mb) She has a 19"LCD monitor. She is used to
> operating the U-8.04 and was happy with it.  As I understood she said 'yes'
> to the auto upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04 by mistake thinking it was just an
> update, unfortunately the upgrade failed. Alex says her HD is totally
> scrambled. I have an extra 60GB HD that I am mailing to her but my first
> chance to get to town will be the 2nd of next mo. After Alex gets her back
> running she will have some backup.
>  herb
>  --

Herb,
Good to hear from you.
This might be a good plan for Cheryl. Ubuntu 8.04 is a planned "Long
term support releases only". Might be years before an upgrade is
required.

My experience after my "upgrade" from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 is it blew
up the same way as Cheryl's and I spent several hours trying to fix it
before I gave up. FYI, I reinstalled 8.04 on that machine, did all the
updates, etc. and tried the 8.04 to 9.04 "upgrade" and it blew up as
well. The upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10 worked fine. After I waited for
8.10 to stabilize. For some strange reason Kubuntu 8.04 upgraded to
9.04 without a hitch but I can't stand the Kubuntu 9.04 KDE.

I would still be running Ubuntu 8.04 but I noticed I wasn't getting
many updates. My other OS's were getting almost daily updates. I
researched why Ubuntu 8.04 wasn't getting updates, found out and
changed the "System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates >
Release upgrade" from "Long term support releases only" to "Normal
releases". That did it. Somehow Cheryl's got changed. Not a good thing
for most users. They should be set for "Long term support releases
only".

Bottom line, Ubuntu 9.04 installed from CD without a hitch and works
flawlessly on my old P4 and AMD. It seems much faster than 8.04.
Kubuntu 9.04 also work and seems faster than 8.04 but I can't get
comfortable with the KDE it comes with.

How's your blood pressure?

Robert