[SATLUG] Recommendations for a SAMBA/NAS device?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu May 21 12:55:10 CDT 2009

on 5/20/09 10:32 PM, FIRESTORM_v1 said:

> My thinking is that a low-powered machine, like an embedded system
> would do it nicely, but I want to make every effort I can to insure
> that the machine is as low-power as possible, and that the data on the
> array is preserved. I am thinking something like the Linksys NSLU2,
> but with one PCI slot instead of two USB ports, running off of flash
> or a laptop HDD in a Linux environment.

Most of your power usage is going to be in the spinning drives.
Minimizing your other power usage isn't going to help you much.

But if you want a good SOHO NAS device, the best I know of is the
Netgear ReadyNAS.  They have several models available, see
<http://www.readynas.com/?cat=27>.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out