[SATLUG] OT: Cheryl's System Crash

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Thu May 21 15:27:39 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 20:49 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:
> On 5/20/09, Herb Cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> > Al Castanoli wrote:
> >
> > > I think that depends on the implementation - the MacPup 412 version
> > > seems fairly tidy.  The netbook remix I mentioned in the post you quoted
> > > isn't running compiz-fusion, but rather has a very simple window
> > > manager.
> > >
> > > Al Castanoli
> > >

> >  Al, FYI Cheryl has an AMD P4 desktop, I think a 1.2G and she has recently
> > upgraded memory to 1.5GB (3x512mb) She has a 19"LCD monitor. She is used to
> > operating the U-8.04 and was happy with it.  As I understood she said 'yes'
> > to the auto upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04 by mistake thinking it was just an
> > update, unfortunately the upgrade failed. Alex says her HD is totally
> > scrambled. I have an extra 60GB HD that I am mailing to her but my first
> > chance to get to town will be the 2nd of next mo. After Alex gets her back
> > running she will have some backup.
> >  herb
> >  --
>
> Herb,
> Good to hear from you.
> This might be a good plan for Cheryl. Ubuntu 8.04 is a planned "Long
> term support releases only". Might be years before an upgrade is
> required.
>
> My experience after my "upgrade" from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 is it blew
> up the same way as Cheryl's and I spent several hours trying to fix it
> before I gave up. FYI, I reinstalled 8.04 on that machine, did all the
> updates, etc. and tried the 8.04 to 9.04 "upgrade" and it blew up as
> well. The upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10 worked fine. After I waited for
> 8.10 to stabilize. For some strange reason Kubuntu 8.04 upgraded to
> 9.04 without a hitch but I can't stand the Kubuntu 9.04 KDE.
>
> I would still be running Ubuntu 8.04 but I noticed I wasn't getting
> many updates. My other OS's were getting almost daily updates. I
> researched why Ubuntu 8.04 wasn't getting updates, found out and
> changed the "System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates >
> Release upgrade" from "Long term support releases only" to "Normal
> releases". That did it. Somehow Cheryl's got changed. Not a good thing
> for most users. They should be set for "Long term support releases
> only".
>
> Bottom line, Ubuntu 9.04 installed from CD without a hitch and works
> flawlessly on my old P4 and AMD. It seems much faster than 8.04.
> Kubuntu 9.04 also work and seems faster than 8.04 but I can't get
> comfortable with the KDE it comes with.
>
> How's your blood pressure?
>
> Robert

Last question first - 120/80 this morning at the VA clinic, but I don't
like the latest KDE versions, either.  When Miguel Figueroa and I set up
KDE 1.0 on SuSE from sources (because the rpm's were buggy) at an early
SATLUG meeting at Trinity University, we all thought it was a great
alternative to CDE.  It seems the Version 4 series is trying to compete
with Windows, though, and KDE looks to be less user friendly.

Thanks for clarifying, Robert.  I was under the mistaken impression that
she was using a laptop computer.  I doubt the netbook remix would make
much sense on a desktop computer.

I have one desktop still running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and don't want to
change that because it works great as my home network file server.  It's
currently using an el cheapo Westinghouse 19 inch LCD and I don't see a
need to change that. I remember Synaptic asking if I wanted to upgrade
it to 9.04, but I wasn't interested, and can understand the confusion
when the first upgrades the tool asks for are usually security updates.
The offer to upgrade to Jaunty Jackalope showed up before the security
updates.

Al Castanoli