[SATLUG] OT: Cheryl's System Crash

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu May 21 16:49:24 CDT 2009

Al Castanoli wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 20:49 -0500, Robert Pearson wrote:

>>>  Al, FYI Cheryl has an AMD P4 desktop, I think a 1.2G and she has recently
>>> upgraded memory to 1.5GB (3x512mb) She has a 19"LCD monitor. She is used to
>>> operating the U-8.04 and was happy with it.  As I understood she said 'yes'
>>> to the auto upgrade from 8.04 to 9.04 by mistake thinking it was just an
>>> update, unfortunately the upgrade failed. Alex says her HD is totally
>>> scrambled. I have an extra 60GB HD that I am mailing to her but my first
>>> chance to get to town will be the 2nd of next mo. After Alex gets her back
>>> running she will have some backup.
>>>  herb
>>>  --
>>>
>> Herb,
>> Good to hear from you.
>> This might be a good plan for Cheryl. Ubuntu 8.04 is a planned "Long
>> term support releases only". Might be years before an upgrade is
>> required.
>>
>> My experience after my "upgrade" from Ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 is it blew
>> up the same way as Cheryl's and I spent several hours trying to fix it
>> before I gave up. FYI, I reinstalled 8.04 on that machine, did all the
>> updates, etc. and tried the 8.04 to 9.04 "upgrade" and it blew up as
>> well. The upgrades from 8.04 to 8.10 worked fine. After I waited for
>> 8.10 to stabilize. For some strange reason Kubuntu 8.04 upgraded to
>> 9.04 without a hitch but I can't stand the Kubuntu 9.04 KDE.
>>
>> I would still be running Ubuntu 8.04 but I noticed I wasn't getting
>> many updates. My other OS's were getting almost daily updates. I
>> researched why Ubuntu 8.04 wasn't getting updates, found out and
>> changed the "System > Administration > Software Sources > Updates >
>> Release upgrade" from "Long term support releases only" to "Normal
>> releases". That did it. Somehow Cheryl's got changed. Not a good thing
>> for most users. They should be set for "Long term support releases
>> only".
>>
>> Bottom line, Ubuntu 9.04 installed from CD without a hitch and works
>> flawlessly on my old P4 and AMD. It seems much faster than 8.04.
>> Kubuntu 9.04 also work and seems faster than 8.04 but I can't get
>> comfortable with the KDE it comes with.
>>
>> How's your blood pressure?
>>
>> Robert
>>

> Last question first - 120/80 this morning at the VA clinic, but I don't
> like the latest KDE versions, either.  When Miguel Figueroa and I set up
> KDE 1.0 on SuSE from sources (because the rpm's were buggy) at an early
> SATLUG meeting at Trinity University, we all thought it was a great
> alternative to CDE.  It seems the Version 4 series is trying to compete
> with Windows, though, and KDE looks to be less user friendly.
>
> Thanks for clarifying, Robert.  I was under the mistaken impression that
> she was using a laptop computer.  I doubt the netbook remix would make
> much sense on a desktop computer.
>
> I have one desktop still running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS and don't want to
> [...]
Yeah Al it was just that confusion along with her really bad eysight
that led to her grief and since like myself she under house arrest by
medical probs. Very good BP BTW I have to monitor mide and use herbs to
keep it in just that range and I take action when I get a 135/80 reading
altho doc says under 145/90 is fine for 80yrs.
Anyway thanks for your interest I only know Cheryl from this list but
know she is on SSI and her Meds expense keeps her broke.

If you remember several mos back she thought she needed to upgrade her
P4 and asked for help I jumped in and got to know her cause her complete
budget was the $250 stim that she just received few days before the
crash. I found her answer was just to max out mem and make some other
small adjustment and she was just getting happy cause going from 390mb
to 1.5 gig did it for her I sent her one stick of 512 that I had unused
and that boosted her enough so she bought 2 more sticks and had just got
it running when the cyber gods threw a bolt. I gonna send her this extra
HD I have with 8.04 desktop loaded and a cd to go with it so that at
least she can boot from diff HD if a crash happens and can then maybe
get fixed using Email. like now the window to Cheryl's world is
shuttered. I know living alone and remote how important that window is
so sad trip.

I kept your note tho on that idea and I may give it a try to see if it
makes a diff to a desktop[.
Herb up in Bedias TX