[SATLUG] New user requests advice.

cdv7 at sbcglobal.net cdv7 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 21 18:54:41 CDT 2009

Greetings,
Before I attempt to switch from DSL to Dial Up I need to know several
things:

1. When I first tried to connect to the Internet in 2005 (I had Windows
then) I tried several Dial Up ISP's but could never make a connection. I
was told the wiring is too old. (My house was built pre- 1950's but was
remodeled during the 1980's , some of the wiring was changed then.) How
should I address this possible problem? I hope its resolution will not
be prohibitively expensive.

2.  It has been recommended that I first update to the newest version of
Ubuntu but I am unclear about the recent crash of Ms. Holmes. I am
concerned I may have a similar experience, as I would not know how to
avoid it.

3. I need to know how to transfer all my e-mail -not just my Inbox but
my Drafts and Sent boxes too. (I ran into this problem when I transfered
from Suse to Ubuntu.) I transfered the contents of my desktop by putting
them on a flash drive. However, some of the e-mail (such as the Drafts
Box) was transferred one message at a time. Please tell me if there is a
more efficient way to do this.

Also,if there are other important things I need to know before I make
the switch, please let me know.
~ cdv