[SATLUG] New user requests advice.

Charles Hogan cd_satl at futuretechsolutions.com
Thu May 21 21:08:57 CDT 2009

1. When I worked as tech support for a dial-up ISP back in the late
90's, 2 of the biggest problems we had with connections were incorrect
line polarity and poor line quality.  For the polarity issues, I carried
a line tester and would correct the issue at the jack if it were
present, (some modems are/were sensitive to phone line polarity, this
was my first, and often times only, corrective action).  Altex has a
couple of line testers*, both under $10.00.

As for line quality, well, that can run the gambit.  I remember 1
customer that couldn't connect no matter what.  I plugged a phone into
the jack they were using for the computer, and could barely hear the
dial tone over the static on the line.  Customer's reasoning, "We use
that jack for the computer because we can't hear who we are talking to
if we use it for the phone", sometimes you just want to slap the
stupidity out of people.  Plugged them into a different jack in the
house, and surprise surprise, no problems connecting or staying
connected.  No surprise that they didn't like my pricing for running new
wire to the jack, so fortunately, they were left to their own devices on
figuring that one out.  We had another customer with line quality
issues, no static, but a bad line, where someone digging had cut through
the phone lines, and the splice putting them back together was done
poorly.  That was a telco issue somewhere up the line on their side of
the demarc.

If you are unable to connect, and suspect line quality issues, try
plugging straight into the demarc if you can, and see if you can get a
connection from there.  If so, you will probably want to run a new line
from the demarc to wherever you are plugging the computer to the phone
jack.  I doubt that there will be any issues with that if you are able
to currently get DSL through the line.

2. Can't help with that one, as I am a Fedora user.  I am sure that
someone else here can help with that.

3. It would be helpful to know what e-mail client you are using.

*line testers at Altex:
http://www.altex.com/Triplett-Line-Bug-4-Phone-LAN-Line-Tester-9615-P145000.aspx
http://www.altex.com/Telephone-Line-Tester-75-4650-P143540.aspx

Hope this was of some help.  I'm off to my new weekly habit of drinks
and jazz at The Landing.

Charlie