[SATLUG] slideshow program

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Mon May 25 14:34:51 CDT 2009

On 5/25/09, Borries Demeler <demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

>  > I would also suggest looking into impress.  While it is not necessarily
>  > open-source (probably open-access better describes the OO suite) it will
>  > get the job done quite well and IMO the most feature complete portions
>  > of the OO suite.
>  >
>  > Todd
>

> No, I am not thinking of a powerpoint presentation replacement, yes, Impress is
>  good and I use it exclusively for what it is designed - the html export is way too
>  inflexible - for example, it does not permit linking thumbs to hi-rez images, and
>  doesn't allow me to set arbitrary resolutions for thumbs. I was looking for a
>  program that specifically generates web pages for a collection of slides and images.
>
>  What I am using now is called "xnview". It comes pretty close, but isn't OSS and
>  lacks some features I need.
>
>  Thanks, -Borries

This is not a "specific" answer to your question.
Since I was interested in doing something like this myself, I did a
little Googling.
Three resources of interest:
"Comparison of image viewers"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_image_viewers>
"xnview and some of the OSS packages (F-spot, Gqview, Gthumb,
Kphotoalbum) are compared"

"List of open source software packages"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_software_packages#Image_viewers>
Image viewers
* Eye of GNOME
* F-spot
* Gqview
* Gthumb
* imgSeek
* Kphotoalbum
VLC Media Player

"Image viewer"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_viewer>
UNIX-like
* XnView, xv, Kuickshow, GThumb (Linux)

HTH - it gave me some specific tools to look at and compare