[SATLUG] Introduction

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Fri Nov 6 08:49:54 CST 2009

Christopher Connell wrote:
> Hey guys/gals,
>
> Just wanted to introduce myself to the members of SATLUG.
>
> My name is Chris and I'm new to Linux (like one week new... :-D )
>
> Anyway I go to UTSA (Communication Major) and work in a computer store.
>
> I'm running Mandriva 2010 on a Dell D430. I know nothing about linux commands and hope I can learn that among other things.
>
> I bought a few books: Linux Complete (2002), Hacking Knoppix, Fedora 10 & Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu for Dummies, Linux Troubleshooting Bible (2004), Beginning Ubuntu Linux, Linux for Dummies (8th Ed), Linux Bible (2008)
>
> I bought so many books/ different OS because I was unsure what OS I actually wanted to install. I chose Mandriva because it installed on my system with little to no headaches and included a lot of free software that I was used to using (Open Office and Gimp)
>
> v/r
>
> Chris

two of my favorite books on Linux are Linux in Nutshell (an absolute
must have for anyone interested in Linux) and the Linux Cookbook.
Granted these books are written for the intermediate user, they will
still be invaluable once you get the basics down.  Ohh year just a FYI
your OS is Linux your distribution is Mandriva.  Also give Ubuntu a look
its a great noob distro, with a great forum community.

Todd