[SATLUG] Introduction

Cheryl Holmes cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 14:46:56 CST 2009

Personally, I love Ubuntu Hardy Heron for ease of use and people
transitioning.  It gives you a nice taste for Linux since it is so
"windows" like and easy to use.

My 74 year old Mom uses it too and loves it fir ease of use.,  You
don't have to be an engineer or geek to use it and appreciate all the
wonderful benefits of Linux.  I think it is a grest starter distro.

There is great FREE tech support on Launchpad too with some very
helpful and knowledgable folks.  They explain things in very simple
and easy to understand ways for the ordinary person.

Dell added Ubuntu option to their operating systems for new units too
which I think is a good sign.c

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 2:25 PM, John D Choate <jdchoate at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 05 November 2009 23:18:22 Arthur Hall wrote:
>> Chris,
>>
>> Welcome to the San Antonio Linux community.  You'll find the folks on this list are very understanding and very helpful.  They have been generous with their time, talent, and equipment as I have worked to get computers and software for refugee families.
>>
>> Since many of my "clients" learned on Windows, I looked long and hard for a Linux version that was as close as possible to that OS and finally settled on Ubuntu.  You may want to give it a try in your transition to Linux.  It has virtually all the bells and whistles you could want as a beginner and you can download even more when you're ready.
>>
>> Glad to have you aboard.
>>
>> Art
>
> It is always advised to try out different Linux distributions... but... If you are running Mandriva 2010 and you like it, I doubt very much that you will be impressed by Ubuntu ;)

angels we call our pets....(in memory and deepest love, Hillary, June
2008; Misty Nov. 2007; Maxi, July 2004; Sheba, May 2000).