[SATLUG] KDE4.3.3/Mandriva

Christopher Connell connell.christopher at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 18:55:05 CST 2009

I'm still a noob so bare with me. I'm not sure what Mandriva runs like with KDE 4.3.3. I'm running Mandriva 2010 with GNOME 2.28.0 and it seems to be running OK. I have noticed a few bugs. Epiphany will occassionally go grey and freeze up. Firefox will display a message npviewer.bin has crashed. Downloading "Seamonkey" seems to be the easiest fix. It's close enough to Firefox (Based off the Mozilla open source code for Firefox).

Also, as Howard pointed out, there was an issue with the sound when I played Uplink. (Yeah I know I'm a nerd playing a hacker game that's nothing like hacking. :-) )

Lastly, my smartcard reader and SD camera card reader don't work. But those are linux issues. I found a driver from MUSCLE (Movement for the use of smartcards in a linux enviornment) that I'm going to try out to get the smartcard working.

All-in-all Mandriva has been a good distro. I'd imagine that the KDE version would behave the same.