[SATLUG] Dell Ubuntu Tower desktops

Cheryl Holmes cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 02:35:48 CST 2009

Hi, do any of you have  Dell Ubuntu desktop that came with Ubuntu from Dell?
If so, which model machine and do you like it?  What don't you like about it?

Is all the hardware in the machine proprietary or can you now use any
manufacturer's compatible hardware in them?

The mini towers look so cramped for all those heated electronicsl  Do
the have heat issues and are the components like half size compared to
full size?

Dual core processor or single ..which is more reliable and faster?

I'm thinking of seeing about buying a new tower from Dell if I can
qualify for payments since a large capitol outlay is out of the
question.  I really do not want to deal with "old" stuff any more
either..

I haven't called Dell yet because I want to see what others think
first.  I would also want to check out the mobo specs in whatever
tower I might be interested in.

Not sure Dell selld just the tower but plan to check.  I did see they
have a good deal on an Ubuntu machine with monitor and everything but
it's not what I really need or quite what I want.

Thanks cheryl