[SATLUG] Dell Ubuntu Tower desktops

Cheryl Holmes cherylholmes72 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 11:15:34 CST 2009

Thanks Michael...I know about those places and also about Discount PC
I am on disability and just never have an extra 100.00+  laying
around.  would be nice if I did!  :o)  I just live on a very tight
budget.

Dell has a complete system with Ubuntu for $419.00 includes 29"
monitor, kybd, mouse but I don't need all that.  They monthly payment
for that one is $15.00 wich for me is a lot easier to handle.
because it's a small monthly payment instead of 1 large chunk!

Since I don't need all that and really want just the tower, I want to
see if I can only buy a tower from them.  Just the towersimilarly
configured I am hoping will cost even less...

Thank you very much for taking the time to suggest some ideas..I LOVE
plundering in that Goodwill store.  Sister bought a really nice HP all
in one prointer there.

cheryl

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Michael <mmorse757 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cheryl Holmes wrote:
>> Hi, do any of you have  Dell Ubuntu desktop that came with Ubuntu from Dell?
>> If so, which model machine and do you like it?  What don't you like about it?
>>
>> Is all the hardware in the machine proprietary or can you now use any
>> manufacturer's compatible hardware in them?
>>
>> The mini towers look so cramped for all those heated electronicsl  Do
>> the have heat issues and are the components like half size compared to
>> full size?
>>
>> Dual core processor or single ..which is more reliable and faster?
>>
>> I'm thinking of seeing about buying a new tower from Dell if I can
>> qualify for payments since a large capitol outlay is out of the
>> question.  I really do not want to deal with "old" stuff any more
>> either..
>>
> Cheryl,
>
> You may wish to consider Good Will.  They have some many Dell towers.
> Yes, of course they are used, but they are in amazingly good shape.
> They are around the $100. range.
>
> Also, in the local newspaper /Current/ there is a computer company (PC
> Outlet  http://www.sa-pc.com ) that sells refurbished Dells.  The are
> around the $100 - 120.  One of my friends bought one and it looked brand
> new.  He has had it for about four months now has had no problems.  No,
> I am not affiliated with the company ;)  My two cents is buy a Dell from
> this store or from Good Will.
>
> Have fun researching!
>
> Michael

angels we call our pets....(in memory and deepest love, Hillary, June
2008; Misty Nov. 2007; Maxi, July 2004; Sheba, May 2000).