[SATLUG] BIND Training

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Nov 17 21:48:56 CST 2009

On Nov 17, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Leif Johnson wrote:

> I've been managing our school district's DNS for several years. I learned what I know pretty much on my own. Yet sometimes I feel like there are so many holes in my knowledge. Is there someone that offers a day-long training session on DNS and BIND / Linux security in the San Antonio area? I have grant funds for training. -Thanks.

I taught a half-day class on DNS & BIND at a conference in Europe a while back, based on material from Cricket Liu (from his days when he was working at Men & Mice, whom I had done some other consulting with).

I could contact Cricket and see if they're interested in doing a tutorial at an upcoming event in the area, or allowing me to do something based on the work I've done with him in the past.  A couple years back, I was working on becoming a Certified Infoblox Instructor (see <https://www.infoblox.com/training/training.cfm>), so that I could do some consulting gigs for them training people to use their products.  Unfortunately, most of those classes are specific to the Infoblox products, but I think they do have some online "webinars" that are more basic.

Alternatively, the ISC has done training on DNS & BIND here in Texas in the past, and although there isn't anything currently local listed on their official training schedule (see <https://www.isc.org/services/training/schedule>), they have always been responsive to requests for additional training if suitable arrangements can be made.

I could probably teach the class myself, using their material.  That would save them needing to send someone out here, and the only arrangements that would need to be made would be to compensate them for the use of their material.

If there is enough interest in this topic, I can certainly contact the folks at Infoblox or ISC and see what arrangements can be made.

--
Brad Knowles <bradknowles at shub-internet.org>