[SATLUG] haldaemon restart at boot

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 23:50:53 CST 2009

Tweeks wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009 10:03:57 pm steve kolars wrote:
>> That is kind of the long hand method. How about using chkconfig?
>>
>> chkconfig haldaemon on
>
> He wasn't trying to turn it on.. but have it turn on last.
>
> Although the turn on order can be modified (in Red Hat systems) by changing
> these lines:
>
> # chkconfig: 345 98 02
>
> The "98" number is the start order.. Change it to 99 to make it start up
> last. :)

Not 100% precise.  If there are other scripts at 99 that start with a
string found later in the alphabet than 'haldaemon', those will be
started later.  For instance:

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99firstboot
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99haldaemon
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99local
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S99smartd

Now if you named the script with something non-standrd like
SZ99haldaemon, it would indeed start last.  The scripts are run in the
order returned by:

  /etc/rc$runlevel.d/S*

Yes, its a nitpick, but something I think should be understood by anyone
who want to change the order of initialization scripts.

For more information, read the script /etc/rc.d/rc on a RedHat system.
The startup scripts for Ubuntu are similar but differ significantly in
implementation.

http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/57213

   -- Bruce