[SATLUG] assembly compiler for Linux?

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:21:10 CST 2009

Alejandro herrera wrote:
> what compiler I can download for my Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit architecture
> Machine... I have heard that the gcc compiler can make it but I have
> not found on line any info on it or what switch(es) might need for
> Assembly.

The short answer is "I don't know.", but what distro are you using?  A
64-bit system can run either the 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

I built a complete 'pure' (not multi-lib) 64-bit version of Linux From
Scratch from ubuntu-9.04-server-amd64.iso without any problems at all.
No special switches required.

If you are doing a cross-compile from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit
system, specialized switches would be needed.

I'd just try it and see if it works.

   -- Bruce