[SATLUG] Affordable raid1 enclosure, maybe nas

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Nov 30 15:25:22 CST 2009

Define affordable, but it seems that you want the RAID to be done in the box
(rather than the host) which would require the RAID logic to be built into
the enclosure, and then one host port (USB or eSATA).

There is the drobo which many like, as well as single USB/eSATA enclosures.
I have used Promise in the past, but the non-windows driver type enclosures
tend to be more $$ (that addition of a USB/eSATA RAID card raises the cost).

The GigE connected NAS option is likely to cost the same, and provide more
features.  I am currently shopping that market as well, and like the IOmega
(EMC) ix series as well as the Synology DS series (Liking the DS409+).  They
both provide NFS and CIFS/SAMBA, as well as the ability to add others
(iscsi, rsync, ftp, scp) and both run embedded Linux.  The iomega is
purchased with drives, and the synology/drobo are BYO Disks.

As the NAS boxes only require ~45W and does not require the "host system"
(@~+125W) to be running for clients to access the data.

HTH,
John