[SATLUG] Affordable raid1 enclosure, maybe nas

Daniel Goller morfic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 18:46:51 CST 2009

Thanks for the replies.

I started using a wave with a friend to spitball this 2009 style, and after
considering quite the many NAS took a step back and revisited what i
actually wanted.

I have a sheeva plug running with 2 WD usb drives in raid1, it does what i
want it to do httpd/nfsd mainly.
On (re)building of the raid and on write access to the raid i saturate the
usb, cpu pegs and write ties are below 100mbps network speeds.
Read speeds saturate my current 100mbps connection.

My initial idea was to move the raid1 off the sheeva cpu, and thus i looked
at raid1 usb enclosures (internal logic, exposed as a single/simple drive to
the OS it connects to).

My *hope* is if it can reach adequate esata speeds, the raid1 will be
capable of saturating the usb in both reads and writes.

The NAS cam in when i looked at various scenarios of single drive/dual drive
configurations where redundancy varied from raid1 to nightly rsync over gigE
from sheeva to NAS (basically NASx2 that way).

I figured having full access to the sheeva and doing on it as i please i
would not be able to accept the NAS device for long.

So i went for what started my quest, a raid 1 usb2/esata enclosure.

Vantec-NST-400MX-SR<http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-NST-400MX-SR-3-5-Inch-External-Enclosure/dp/B001BYJFBY/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259628061&sr=8-13>
will
be arriving tomorrow evening.

I realized while trying to find a solution to create a redundant storage
solution, i really created one that made the cpu/os not really redundant but
duplicate.

I am keeping the storage redundant, and am future ready, should i upgrade to
gigE on the desktop any time soon, it would then allow me to upgrade the
sheeva to a openrd-base client, and connect the same enclosure up to it via
esata.

I think i achieved moving the cpuload on writes off the sheeva, while
keeping my setup as simple (and most importantly working as i want it) as it
is now.

If anyone is interested, i can post my impressions about this enclosure once
i am done setting it up.

Thanks,

Daniel

Yes, my hurry to purchase typically outpaces the list's replies, but i
always hope for either more patience on my part or a reply before i click
that "Checkout" button ;)