[SATLUG] Affordable raid1 enclosure, maybe nas

Daniel Goller morfic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:18:47 CST 2009

Thanks, but Perc5/i as in a card for a larger machine that has to be powered
at all times?
That's a little far from an usb/esata enclosure or NAS, no?
Or is there a device called perc5/i (and i can't find googling) that would
qualify? :)

Daniel

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Todd W. Bucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net>wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> John Pappas wrote:
>>
>>> Define affordable, but it seems that you want the RAID to be done in the
>>> box
>>> (rather than the host) which would require the RAID logic to be built
>>> into
>>> the enclosure, and then one host port (USB or eSATA).
>>>
>>> There is the drobo which many like, as well as single USB/eSATA
>>> enclosures.
>>> I have used Promise in the past, but the non-windows driver type
>>> enclosures
>>> tend to be more $$ (that addition of a USB/eSATA RAID card raises the
>>> cost).
>>>
>>> The GigE connected NAS option is likely to cost the same, and provide
>>> more
>>> features.  I am currently shopping that market as well, and like the