[SATLUG] Virtualization Platform (Proxmox)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Sat Oct 3 01:00:02 CDT 2009

Hi all. There have been a few threads in the past month dealing with
various virtual environments, including Citrix and Suse Xen, KVM and
VMware. I went searching through recent satlug email archives and I
don't think anyone's mentioned proxmox. I'm testing this debian-based
distro now and it is super easy - especially if you are like me used to
installing kvm and configuring the libvirt xml files from the command
line on Ubuntu.  The proxmox install is a breeze and proxmox website has
videos on how to do lots of things. Some of the features are web-based
access, live migration, master-node based multi-server coordination,
automatic setup of LVM files and backups. The distro offers OpenVZ as
the virtualization platform for non-windows os, which has 2-3%
degradation when compared to a native install. Windows operating systems
are fully virtualized and do run slower.  Proxmox made using these
feature easy compared to working with virt-manager on Ubuntu or CentOS.
I wonder why I hadn't heard of proxmox before?  The maintainers are in
Austria, so maybe  google localized my searches to the US and I never
got past the first few pages or I kept using wrong keywords. A couple
links follow:

Video Tutorials
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Category:Video_Tutorials

Main Page