[SATLUG] Virtualization Platform (Proxmox)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Sat Oct 3 17:00:11 CDT 2009

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> looks interesting, like an open source version of VMware.  KVM with a
> gui?

There are two virtual technologies involved and you pick which one you
want to use on a new VM creation. One virtualization type is Open VZ and
the other is KVM - which is full virtualization. I've been experimenting
with the KVM side and last night on my i7, I installed Ubuntu 9.04
desktop as a Virtual Machine and the install significantly less time
than a regular install on hardware. I'm using proxmox 1.4 beta 2, with
all the i7 drivers compiled in. Booting the Ubuntu VM took 5 seconds -
tops. I'm going to install windows and see what happens now.

I'm blown away right now at the speed differences between my two test
machines - both i7s and both using KVM full virtualization.  One i7 has
proxmox and the second i7 I had loaded with Ubuntu 9.04 desktop and sudo
apt-get install libvirt kvm and all the needed packaged programs and
then configuring everything from the command-line. The desktop is using
qcow2 non-LVM disk files as the VM storage system whereas proxmox uses
lvm under "raw" format (qcow2 was an option but I decided to try raw to
see what that was about).  Anyway I'm trying to make sense of the speed
differences. I think proxmox was compiled specifically with speed in
mind whereas the desktop version is not. Also using LVM is significantly
faster than file-based vms.

~Jaret