[SATLUG] Re: USB Video Capture

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Oct 4 01:33:17 CDT 2009

Hey Henry..

I was actually wondering the same thing (about those USB/video capture
thingies)..

I'm setting up a home security system using cheap IR illuminated, outdoor
video cams from harbor freight for $30 each!
	http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95914

Maybe a couple of IR flood lights (the new LED panel type)... Plus a dedicated
box with a multi-cam BT capture card for multi-camera motion detection, and
ZoneMinder:
	http://www.zoneminder.com/

Sending alerts and images to my phone.

At first I was looking at those USB based devices.. but I think that 4-6 of
those things would eat up too much CPU time.. where the PCI cards are
proven.. and probably less proc intensive (don't know.. just a guess).

Anyway.. flag me of list if you want to compare notes.

Tweeks