[SATLUG] ubuntu intrepid: no xorg.conf, mplayer doesn't work

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Mon Oct 5 11:20:20 CDT 2009

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded (fresh install)  one of my workstations to Ubuntu Intrepid.

I have an nVidia graphics card.

ii  nvidia-173-modaliases                      173.14.12-1-0ubuntu5.1                      Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-177-modaliases                      177.82-0ubuntu0.1                           Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-180-kernel-source                   180.11-0ubuntu1~intrepid1                   NVIDIA binary kernel module source
ii  nvidia-180-modaliases                      180.11-0ubuntu1~intrepid1                   Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-71-modaliases                       71.86.04-0ubuntu10                          Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-96-modaliases                       96.43.09-0ubuntu1.1                         Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-common                              0.2.4.1                                     Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-glx-180                             180.11-0ubuntu1~intrepid1                   NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  nvidia-settings                            177.78-0ubuntu2.1                           Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

Everything seems to work fine, but mplayer.

I used to use the "xv" output driver but it doesn't work any more.

I can use the X11 driver but mplayer won't do full screen (scaling).

If I run nvidia-settings, it says I'm not running the nvidia driver,
and to run xconfig-nvidia (IIRC) to fix my xorg.conf.

But there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  I know how to fix this if there is one,
but not if there isn't one.  I don't know what else should go in it -
that is, the defaults which it is obviously using.
--
Obama Nation | My emails do not have attachments; it's a digital signature
that your mail program doesn't understand. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/