[SATLUG] Re: USB Video Capture

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Mon Oct 5 11:59:26 CDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 01:33, Tweeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote:

> Hey Henry..
>
> I was actually wondering the same thing (about those USB/video capture
> thingies)..

So far my HVR-950Q works fairly well for HD, so I was going to retask my
PVR500 dual analog card for ZM duties, but I have not used ZM before so I
have a question: do any of you use Audio as well?

> I'm setting up a home security system using cheap IR illuminated, outdoor
> video cams from harbor freight for $30 each!
>
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95914
>
> Maybe a couple of IR flood lights (the new LED panel type)... Plus a
> dedicated
> box with a multi-cam BT capture card for multi-camera motion detection, and
> ZoneMinder:
>        http://www.zoneminder.com/
>
> Sending alerts and images to my phone.

That is very close to what I am looking for, but I would also like audio, so
do any of you have that experience?

At first I was looking at those USB based devices.. but I think that 4-6 of
> those things would eat up too much CPU time.. where the PCI cards are
> proven.. and probably less proc intensive (don't know.. just a guess).

I will have a much better idea of CPU once I get some HD's going (I expect
to have 2 of these going at a time)

Anyway.. flag me of list if you want to compare notes.