[SATLUG] Virtualization Platform (Proxmox)

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Oct 6 16:15:32 CDT 2009

Todd W. Bucy wrote:

>> Hey Jaret & Todd, you guys you got me turned on to Proxmox, even tho
>> learning and installing VM was down on the list but I thought man if
>> I can get this going I can make the rest of what I want to do easier
>> and faster. Creating the justification went well...  However.....
>>
>> I have Proxmox installed to the point where i can sign in as root to
>> point my browser to my IP address ..... I haven't a clue how to do
>> this??  What browser?
>>
>> 1. Do I apt get one of Linux browsers?
>>
>> 2. Which one would you recommend?
>>
>> 3. Would you please pass me the code to enter as 'root' on Proxmox
>> install CLI  to get that configuration page shown in the install
>> video 'https://192.168.254.2/' is what gets echoed to the screen.
>>
>> 4.  I also did not know what to use for the domain so I named it
>> Velf-herb.windstream.net  (windstream is my DSL IP) Was this correct?
>>
>> I can launch my browser in Ubuntu-8.04 by opening a terminal and
>> typing 'firefox' but entering firefox in the Proxmox CLI says no such
>> command. being logged in as root I am nervous standing there giving
>> commands.
>>
>> Anyway I sure would appreciate it if you would guide me tru getting
>> this install running.
>> thanks herb
>>

> Herb,
>
> you will have to use a secnd computer that is hooked to your network.
> open firefox and enter the ip address in the address bar
> (https://192.168.254.2/).  login as root and enter the password you
> set during the install.
Thanks Todd  but it fails to connect

> If you are familiar with Webadmin you should be able to get the feel
> of the Proxmox setup.

I just wish to be a user and not a programmer

> Also do your self a favor and bone up on your VLAN knowledge.
> Understanding bridging and bonding will be very helpfull.

Can you narrow this down  google returns *402,000* for *VLAN knowledge
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.answers.com/knowledge&r=67&ei=6abLSo6qGcuWlAe7t6TOBQ&sa=X&oi=dict&ct=D&cd=1&ei=6abLSo6qGcuWlAe7t6TOBQ&sig2=f2ZZgh8HI3TUhZ4rbdcuQQ&usg=AFQjCNH_WVGAnbYmJwiky-af-FDYeyfJaw>*

Todd I am not lazy and I surely do not wish to be rude while asking for
help but trully I am old man I don't want to learn a lot of stuff that I
don't need to know I just want to get this set up and running I have
read most of the Proxmox site watched several of the videos. If you are
willing please answer the 4 questions I asked or if those are improper
questions please tell me what to ask.
thanks herb