[SATLUG] Virtualization Platform (Proxmox)

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Tue Oct 6 22:27:39 CDT 2009

jaret wrote:

>>> I have Proxmox installed to the point where i can sign in as root to
>>> point my browser to my IP address ..... I haven't a clue how to do
>>> this??  What browser?
> Herb, I assume you have two computers in front of you and both are
> connected to a router, so that at the very least you can "ping" each
> of the computers. Did you get that far?  Each computer then has its
> own unique ip address.  You need to get this far in order to continue....
>
> Assuming yes, then on Computer One, you loaded Proxmox. On Computer
> Two, you have Ubuntu-8.04-desktop.  When you were installing ProxMox,
> the installer asked you for the root password. Do you remember what
> that is?  This is the password you need to login in order to use the
> ProxMox web-interface.
>
> Like Todd suggested, use Firefox from Ubuntu. In the Firefox url bar,
> type the ip address of the ProxMox Computer (One). For me, Firefox
> connected successfully but showed me a "Security Exception" web page.
> Read this web page carefully and choose to Add the security
> certificate from ProxMox to Firefox. There are few buttons to push and
> I don't know the exact order - but you should be able to follow the
> directions to add the security certificate (or I think as Firefox
> calls it adding a Security Exception).  The reason why Firefox
> complains on first connection to ProxMox is because the security
> certificate is not verified by a Third Party (like Verisign or
> GoDaddy) but since you are not making this computer available to the
> public, you don't need Third Party verification. Simply add the
> security exception in Firefox and you'll then be taken to the Proxmox
> login screen. User is "root" and then type in your password.
>

>>> 1. Do I apt get one of Linux browsers?
> Like Todd said, Firefox works great.
>>>
>>> 2. Which one would you recommend?
> Firefox works.
>>>
>>> 3. Would you please pass me the code to enter as 'root' on Proxmox
>>> install CLI  to get that configuration page shown in the install
>>> video 'https://192.168.254.2/' is what gets echoed to the screen.
> Maybe you are getting the Firefox security exception? See Above.
>>>
>>> 4.  I also did not know what to use for the domain so I named it
>>> Velf-herb.windstream.net  (windstream is my DSL IP) Was this correct?
> I'm not a net admin but.... Generally you will only make ProxMox
> internal to your network (you don't want the public access to your
> Virtual Server), then use the domain name of whatever your internal
> network is. Velf-herb.windstream.net is probably safest or if your
> router or another computer allows for DNS/DHCP you could name it
> something else like herb.internalnet.lan.... It depends on the type of
> configuration you want and the setup of your internal network. Then if
> you want the outside to use your internal webserver running in a
> Virtual Machine which runs on top of ProxMox, you use your router to
> point external requests to internal services, such as the Virtual
> [...]
yes that helped Jaret, the problem was using Windstream.net  apparently
that was goofing it up. I went to a name.lan as you suggested and it
gave me a diff Https and then gave me the security alert.

So I use the proxmox tru my Ubuntu box huh? Or for that matter from any
client on my LAN. I haven't tried to use it yet and may not till few
days I have too many chores piled up and guest coming on Thurs but all
installed and configured.

I will check out one of the templates they offer to play some and then I
want to setup Win XP and one of the older Wins 95, 98SE or ME plus
another Linux distro to play with
Thanks Todd & Jaret
herb