[SATLUG] Virtualization Platform (Proxmox)

Herb Cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Oct 7 12:53:32 CDT 2009

Herb Cee wrote:

>> Herb, I assume you have two computers in front of you and both are
>> connected to a router, so that at the very least you can "ping" each
>> of the computers. Did you get that far?  Each computer then has its
>> own unique ip address.  You need to get this far in order to
>> continue....
>>
>> Assuming yes, then on Computer One, you loaded Proxmox. On Computer
>> Two, you have Ubuntu-8.04-desktop.  When you were installing ProxMox,
>> the installer asked you for the root password. Do you remember what
>> that is?  This is the password you need to login in order to use the
>> ProxMox web-interface.
>>
>> Like Todd suggested, use Firefox from Ubuntu. In the Firefox url bar,
>> type the ip address of the ProxMox Computer (One). For me, Firefox
>> connected successfully but showed me a "Security Exception" web page.
>> Read this web page carefully and choose to Add the security
>> certificate from ProxMox to Firefox. There are few buttons to push
>> and I don't know the exact order - but you should be able to follow
>> the directions to add the security certificate (or I think as Firefox
>> calls it adding a Security Exception).  The reason why Firefox
>> complains on first connection to ProxMox is because the security
>> certificate is not verified by a Third Party (like Verisign or
>> GoDaddy) but since you are not making this computer available to the
>> public, you don't need Third Party verification. Simply add the
>> security exception in Firefox and you'll then be taken to the Proxmox
>> login screen. User is "root" and then type in your password.

>> Like Todd said, Firefox works great.

>> Firefox works.

>> Maybe you are getting the Firefox security exception? See Above.

>> I'm not a net admin but.... Generally you will only make ProxMox
>> internal to your network (you don't want the public access to your
>> Virtual Server), then use the domain name of whatever your internal
>> network is. Velf-herb.windstream.net is probably safest or if your
>> router or another computer allows for DNS/DHCP you could name it
>> something else like herb.internalnet.lan.... It depends on the type
>> of configuration you want and the setup of your internal network.
>> Then if you want the outside to use your internal webserver running
>> in a Virtual Machine which runs on top of ProxMox, you use your
>> router to point external requests to internal services, such as the
>> Virtual Machine's web site (using ip address and ports).

>> You don't access the ProxMox from the ProxMox CLI... you access it
>> from Firefox on your Ubuntu desktop.
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> ~Jaret
> yes that helped Jaret, the problem was using Windstream.net
> apparently that was goofing it up. I went to a name.lan as you
> suggested and it gave me a diff Https and then gave me the security
> alert.
>
> So I use the proxmox tru my Ubuntu box huh? Or for that matter from
> [...]
Hmmmm I have been reading the Proxmox pages but I don't find a clue what
to do after I DL a Template to my install I don't see a way to do
anything from my web admin page.

I have DLed both Wordpress and Joomla and I see the two .gz files but ...

1. How do I enter the install command? I think normal would be from a
terminal .. "tar xvzf  debian-5.0-wordpress_2.7-1_i386.tar.gz"  ...
then cd into the folder and

Type|* /"./configure" (Enter)/*|

Type /|*"make" (Enter) *|/||Then /|*"make install" (Enter)*|/

Then /|*"make clean" (Enter)*|/

Then /|*"exit" (Enter)
*|/

2. Is this perhaps done from the command line on the box where Proxmox
is installed?

This is a frustrating thing with Linux and me because although I have no
trouble using Linux for all my work except some programs i like that run
in MSWin but trying to do something new is a bitch. I can follow
directions but where do I find those carefully hidden gems?

It's been raining this morning so thought i would check out wordpress...
Perhaps this is a bad one to try to learn with so can you give me a run
down on getting any one of the templates to work?
Thanks herb

|*//*|