[SATLUG] Virtualization Platform (Proxmox)

jaret jaret at aberlorn.com
Thu Oct 8 00:14:06 CDT 2009

Herb Cee wrote:
> Hmmmm I have been reading the Proxmox pages but I don't find a clue
> what to do after I DL a Template to my install I don't see a way to do
> anything from my web admin page.
>
> I have DLed both Wordpress and Joomla and I see the two .gz files but ...
>
> 1. How do I enter the install command? I think normal would be from a
> terminal .. "tar xvzf  debian-5.0-wordpress_2.7-1_i386.tar.gz"  ...
> then cd into the folder and
>
> Type|* /"./configure" (Enter)/*|
>
> Type /|*"make" (Enter) *|/||Then /|*"make install" (Enter)*|/
>
> Then /|*"make clean" (Enter)*|/
>
> Then /|*"exit" (Enter)
> *|/
>
> 2. Is this perhaps done from the command line on the box where Proxmox
> is installed?
>
> This is a frustrating thing with Linux and me because although I have
> no trouble using Linux for all my work except some programs i like
> that run in MSWin but trying to do something new is a bitch. I can
> follow directions but where do I find those carefully hidden gems?
>
> It's been raining this morning so thought i would check out
> wordpress... Perhaps this is a bad one to try to learn with so can you
> give me a run down on getting any one of the templates to work?
> Thanks herb
>
> |*//*|

Herb, sorry but I haven't installed any templates because I was needing
distributions that aren't in the templates. Though if I remember right,
I think you are making it too hard. Everything is done through the
proxmox web admin. Let me check the proxmox site quickly.  Try these....

First follow the tutorial to download a template:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Download_templates_(Video)

Second follow the tutorial to create a vm for a template. The email
gateway tutorial is based on a template.
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Mail_Gateway_on_Proxmox_VE_(Video)

~Jaret