[SATLUG] Home automation via linux

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri Oct 9 11:57:43 CDT 2009

Hi, All.

Ok.  here's the scenario...  I'm in Houston, and I want to check on the
home in San Antonio.

On my linux machine in San Antonio, i have ssh2 up and running.

I want to be able to log in to that machine, enter some command line
control codes to turn on/off lights, or activate switches or outlets.

What suggestions on Linux software capable of this do you have?

Bottom line, I want to be able to log into the remote machine (in San
Antonio) and turn on an outlet (or two) which in turn will power up my
ham radio station, which I can then control with other VoIP software.
The VoIP stuff, and keying the transmitter as well as listening to that
local receiver I have figured out.  I'd like to know how I could turn it
on/off from remote, short of putting it on a timer (very limiting to
radio operating times which may, or may not be convenient for me,
depending on my very dynamic schedule)

-Geoff

believed to be clean.