[SATLUG] Suse Administrator

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Fri Oct 9 13:26:39 CDT 2009

On 10/08/2009 01:52 PM, Sure IT Inc wrote:
> I have a spot open in Florida. Its located in Boca Raton 3-6 month contract
> with Office Depot…the corp headquarters. Please pay attention to the matrix.
> I need a 7+ yr Linux SuSE guy with the other skills. If they don’t have the
> 7 yrs at least, I will not send them.
>

> Sr. Systems Engineer
>
> Complete Description:
> Advises developers in design of new applications by providing expertise on
> systems capabilities and constraints
>
> Works outside immediate discipline to coordinate a group of people in
> troubleshooting a wide-scale problem
>
> Serves as point-of-contact across several areas or disciplines to solve
> major systems outages with high impact or visibility
>
> May function in a lead capacity within department and represent department
> in workflow, escalation discussions with others
>
> Provides expert technical advice and counsel to management and to less
> experienced systems analysts
>
> Assesses change implementation options, benefits and risks, and recommends
> most appropriate direction
>
> Provides guidance in predicting and monitoring performance and capacity and
> addressing related issues
>
> Develops non-standard, non-routine portions of the implementation plan,
> including steps to resolve hardware/software compatibility issues; tests
> software and guides users in required operational changes
>
> Bachelors degree in related field or equivalent training and experience;
> Graduate degree preferred
>
> Approximately 6-9 years experience in field
>
> Additional Information:
> Experience needed in Linux\Windows Server build processes, inclusive of
> rebuilding\reimaging for physical and virtual images.
>

> *   Required / Desired Skills*
>
>      *Skill*
>
> **
>
> *Required / Desired*
>
> **
>
> *Amount of Experience*
>
> Linux (SUSE) Administration experience
>
>  Required
>
>  7  Years
>
> Microsoft Windows Server 200x (64bit experience a definite plus)
>
>  Required
>
>  7  Years
>
> HP DLxxx server hardware and Networking technologies
>
>  Required
>
>  7  Years
>
> Symantec NetBackup and BackupExec product line
>
>  Required
>
>  5  Years
>
> Server Virtualization proficiency (VMWare experience a definite plus)
>
>  Required
>
>  5  Years
>
> Excellent Communication. Self motivated. Strong data organizational skills
>
>  Required
>
>  7  Years

WOW!  You want someone with highly technical background in operating
systems including Windows, Linux and VMWare.  That's three different
career paths.  Oh, and also an HP hardware expert - a fourth career
path.  Ah, yes, of course, backup admin - a fifth career path.  And on
top of all those technical capabilities, you want them to be a great
communicator and customer facing.  Oops, almost missed the graduate
degree preference.

Lemme look back here on my shelf - that ought to be right between the
unicorns and the Easter bunny, right next to the honest politician.
Darn, nope.

Seriously, who in their right mind wrote this job spec?  Are you
surprised that you've reached all the way from Florida to Texas and
you're not finding anyone?  I've been in IT for the better part of two
decades and every time I see one of these job specs I just giggle.

I've got three (maybe four) of the six requirements you list and I am
very, very expensive.  I don't know but a *tiny* handful of folks who
even come close to your list.  Good luck with that.
--
Thomas Cameron, RHCE, RHCX, CNE, MCSE, MCT