[SATLUG] Home automation via linux

Doug ftm at satx.rr.com
Sun Oct 18 00:37:29 CDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: satlug-bounces at satlug.org [mailto:satlug-bounces at satlug.org] On Behalf Of Tweeks
Sent: Sunday, October 18, 2009 12:03 AM
To: satlug at satlug.org
Cc: Tom Walker
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] Home automation via linux

On Saturday 10 October 2009 09:30:09 am Tom Walker wrote:
> Try bottlerocket or heyu. Both are small, command line based programs to
> control X-10 devices,

I second the motion for bottlerocket... the software that controls the
firecracker RS-232-->X10RF (CM17A) module:
	http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Firecracker

Here's the software:
	http://www.linuxha.com/bottlerocket/

I use it every year t control the internal and external xmas lights.. as well
as do "vacation mode" lighting control while I'm away.. all via cron.  But is
also easy as pi to use via a ssh/bash session too.

BTW... If you're going to do X10 wireless.. don't chimp out and use the
el-cheap-o stock X10 RF transceiver bridge.. Spend a little more and get a
REAL X10 wireless bridge:
	http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html?site=ht

This thing ROCKS!

Tweeks
--

OMG!  You control your outside xmas lights?   By any chance sync'd with the Russian Ballet?  ala the Budweiser commercial?
I have been really envious of anyone who knows what equip is required to have such a set up.  It would win every prize ib town!

Doug.