[SATLUG] Home automation via linux

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Oct 18 17:34:30 CDT 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 12:37:29 am Doug wrote:
[...]
> OMG!  You control your outside xmas lights?   By any chance sync'd with the
> Russian Ballet?  ala the Budweiser commercial? I have been really envious
> of anyone who knows what equip is required to have such a set up.  It would
> win every prize ib town!

Never try to use X10 to "animate" Xmas lights.. it's frequency and accuracy
are far too low to reliably do a cool out door music synch'd setup.  I was
just using X10 to turn them on and off once/night.

To do the whole animated, music synch'd thing.. see the XCSSA presentation
from Jan.. where Charles Strang demo'd his microcontroller and computer
controlled setup:
Meeting: http://xcssa.org/archives/XCSSA_2009-01-19.html

Video:	 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QiUrjGSPM

Now THAT's the way to pimp out your Xmas light display! :)

Maybe we can Charles to give another technology overview this year...

Tweeks