[SATLUG] flash on 64-bit linux, sound under virtualbox

Nate pixelnate at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:20:12 CDT 2009

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org wrote:
> Is there a flash player that works on 64-bit Linux?

No, there isn't a 64-bit flash player for any platform. Thanks, Adobe.
> I've installed the flashplugin-nonfree from the Ubuntu archives but it doesn't seem to work.

You'll have to install the 32-bit libs and work it from that end.
> Also, does anyone know of a free virtual machine that will output sound?
>
> I'd like to be able to play games and multimedia content in a virtual machine instance.

I know that Parallels and VMWare with the latest updates will allow that
on a Mac host. I would imagine that VMWare would work with directX and
audio on a linux host. I don't think virtualbox will do it, though. At
least not the latest directX.
> I suppose if I can't find one I can try my hand at wine.

Good luck with that. I think the Valve games will work, but Steam is a
little tricky to get working, from what I remember. Look in the ubuntu
forums. You'll find plenty of gaming info there. FYI, there are good
OpenGL games available on linux. QuakeWars is one, but I cannot remember
the others.

~Nate