[SATLUG] flash on 64-bit linux, sound under virtualbox

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Mon Oct 19 15:26:01 CDT 2009

Nate wrote:
> travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org wrote:
>> Is there a flash player that works on 64-bit Linux?
>>
> No, there isn't a 64-bit flash player for any platform. Thanks, Adobe.
>> I've installed the flashplugin-nonfree from the Ubuntu archives but
>> it doesn't seem to work.
>>

> You'll have to install the 32-bit libs and work it from that end.
>> Also, does anyone know of a free virtual machine that will output sound?
>>
>> I'd like to be able to play games and multimedia content in a virtual
>> machine instance.
>>

> I know that Parallels and VMWare with the latest updates will allow
> that on a Mac host. I would imagine that VMWare would work with
> directX and audio on a linux host. I don't think virtualbox will do
> it, though. At least not the latest directX.
>> I suppose if I can't find one I can try my hand at wine.
>>
> Good luck with that. I think the Valve games will work, but Steam is a
> little tricky to get working, from what I remember. Look in the ubuntu
> forums. You'll find plenty of gaming info there. FYI, there are good
> OpenGL games available on linux. QuakeWars is one, but I cannot
> remember the others.
>

> ~Nate
Ubuntu works around this issue by installing the 32bit version of
firefox.  Currently i am running 9.10 on my mythbx and I run Hulu and
youtube with no problem at all.
also read the following
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/install-flash-10-ubuntu-linux-64bit.html
for details about how to do this manually.

Todd