[SATLUG] flash on 64-bit linux, sound under virtualbox

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Thu Oct 22 22:33:18 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 11:28:42 pm Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Tweeks wrote:
> > I find no real advantage to running a web browser in 64 bit.
[...]
> As you can see, the 64-bit build is only 4% faster and is 9% larger than
> the 32-bit build. The gain from going to a 64-bit system is relatively
> minimal.

10% is barely perceivable...
This combined with all the "little things" that haven't worked like some
graphical operations in GIMP, certain tools screen refresh issues or
artifacting, etc.  Use the right tool for the right job.  For a
desktop/laptop.. I would rather have solid reliability over a 4-9% increase
in speed.  That being said.. I haven't really messed with in in around two
years... I figure that they would work it out eventually.. still.. for a
desktop system.. not so much... unless it's a CAD workstation, ray tracer
machine or such.

Now on a database server.. you bet I'll insist on 64bit.  The advantages there
are night a day.

> Of course, if you have more than 4GB of RAM or want to manipulate
> data that exceeds 4GB, the advantages of a 64-bit system are substantial."

Where did you write this for Bruce?
Just curious..

[...]
> I still believe that a 64-bit system for most users is unnecessary.

Ditto.. in most desktop/laptop cases anyway.
Eventually it will be a moot point as everything transitions to 64bit by
default.  but before that CAN happen on Linux.. vendors like Adobe will need
to get with the program.

Tweeks