[SATLUG] flash on 64-bit linux, sound under virtualbox

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Fri Oct 23 23:36:30 CDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 23:28 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

[...]

> The gain from going to a 64-bit system is relatively minimal. Of
> course, if you have more than 4GB of RAM or want to manipulate data that exceeds
> 4GB, the advantages of a 64-bit system are substantial."

The advantages of 64 bit systems may be relatively minimal until 2038,
when 32 bit *nix systems will run out of seconds.  But on Xen kernels,
the 64 bit versions do a much better job of optimizing core usage on
systems with dual CPUs, each with 4 cores in my experience.  On my AMD
box at home it doesn't make much difference, though (or at least it
won't until 2038).

Al Castanoli