[SATLUG] flash on 64-bit linux, sound under virtualbox

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 00:06:07 CDT 2009

Al Castanoli wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 23:28 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> The gain from going to a 64-bit system is relatively minimal. Of
>> course, if you have more than 4GB of RAM or want to manipulate data that exceeds
>> 4GB, the advantages of a 64-bit system are substantial."
>
> The advantages of 64 bit systems may be relatively minimal until 2038,
> when 32 bit *nix systems will run out of seconds.

Not really.  There is nothing except a few CPU cycles preventing a 32-bit system
manipulating a 64-bit integer.  In the C99 C standard it's called a long long
int.  For time/clock, it probably should be unsigned.

As I said earlier, I see 32-bit systems fading away, but not for technical
reasons.  It's easier and cheaper to make all 64-bit CPUs instead of mixed
32-bit and 64-bit, so they'll all go to 64-bit systems.  There is nothing really
wrong with 64-bit systems, it's just that they're rarely needed.

   -- Bruce