[SATLUG] OT discarded computer and new OS

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 19:10:15 CDT 2009

Its amazing what people throw away sometimes. While I was going over a
blog post about the upgrade paths for Windows 7, I realized why: it is
far easier and cheaper to junk the machine and buy a new one than it
is to upgrade. For the average user, performance is not an issue on 3
year old technology, but after 3 years a Win PC is so slow that it
seems like a 10 year old computer. The average user won't reinstall
their machine every year or pay someone to clean it up because you can
go to Best Buy and get an eMachine for $300 with the latest MS OS.

On the bright side, those of us who realize the true useful lifespan
of hardware can reap the benefits of this throwaway mentality :)

-Henry

On 10/24/09, Daniel Villarreal <youcanlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> This last week I was going to throw away something downtown, and when I
> peered into the trash can, there was a computer! The side cover was off, and
> it looked fairly modern, it was just dusty, so I salvaged it. Got it back
> home and cleaned it up, put in a CD-ROM, 1 GB RAM and a hard drive with
> Ubuntu 9.04 on it and it started up. I decided to install OpenBSD 4.6 on it
> and it's working quite nicely.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay