[SATLUG] Ubuntu 'Karmic Koala' 9.10 impressions?

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 30 18:59:13 CDT 2009

Arthur Hall wrote:

>When I Googled BitTorrent, one of the options talked about malware being
>imbedded in some torrent offerings and I have been reluctant to take my
>chances.

There's nothing magical about BitTorrent that makes it any more
dangerous than downloading any other file. You can think of it as a new
kind of FTP with error checking. The malware comments are talking about
people who search for files by description and then download and run
whatever comes back. You could say the same about Google, as the results
may include "mental malware" -- potentially dangerous misinformation.

Perhaps this page from Ubuntu will help.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BitTorrent

Your browser should automatically launch the proper client when you
click on a .torrent link. If it saves the file instead, just open it
with your bittorrent client (often found under Internet in the menu) and
then tell the client where to put the files it gets for you.

Remember to leave the client running a while after your download so
others in the cloud can benefit just as you did. Only the file described
by the .torrent is shared -- you don't have to worry about others
getting your movie collection instead.  --Don