[SATLUG] OT: BIOS chip source

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:39:01 CDT 2009

On 9/1/09, Herb Cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:
> This may be premature but I have hit what I believe to be a BIOS chip
> failure with 2 of 3 Mobos from ECS that I bought earlier this year and the 2
> are displaying the same prob lack of display the board runs but nada... P/S
> boots, fans run but no  splash screen and replacing the built in Video did
> not help.
>
>  Please tell me if I am on wrong path but this appears to indicate a failure
> in powering the BIOS to run the POST since video is first device to be
> considered in the list for POST. Resetting the defaults by the battery
> jumper does not help. I searched and found  this BIOS supplier company. They
> were fast in responding to my questions and were flat on the ball in
> correcting my order since I screwed up and ordered the incorrect revision of
> the programming they caught the error and corrected and shipped all in
> 24hrs.
>
>  Because they paid attention and questioned which version I wanted I was
> spared the confusions of getting the incorrectly flashed chip and having to
> go tru the flashing that always makes me a nervous wreck.  I am pleased to
> recommend them to those of you who dig the hardware side of this mess of
> magic, LOL
>
>  biosdepot1 at gmail.com
> http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Bios-Depot__W0QQ_armrsZ1
>
>   "Hi, It was programmed with ECS945G-M3 (3.1)Viiv as you specified and was
> put in the mail earlier. Thanks again, Lister"
>
>  If this works out then we can also prolly get Cheryl's problem solved.
> Cross some fingers for me please.
>  herb

Herb,

I hope that fixes the problem. I have my fingers crossed.
Does ECS have any info on the problem?
Have you checked the voltages on the ECS mobo?
I have a similar POST problem in a machine that has worked for years.
According to the Internet it is either the power supply or the
processor.

Way back in the late 1990's I bought an HP laptop. It had everything I
wanted including a built in modem. I bought it at CompUSA in Atlanta
on a road trip. Took it back to the motel and could not get the modem
to work. When I got back to my home base I went to the local CompUSA
store. After their Customer Service gave me the "full" treatment I
left with another laptop (same model, different serial number) that
was guaranteed to work. No Joy! I was furious. Took the laptop back
and got a full refund. Those CompUSA idiots!
Left for Boston. Went to the Best Buy in Boston near the hotel and
there was the laptop I loved with a nice notice posted above it. The
notice stated that a BIOS update was required to make the modem work.
The update URL was on the notice. I bought the laptop again, copied
down the BIOS update URL and went to the hotel. Downloaded the update
on my company laptop, installed it on the new HP and the long love
affair with that laptop was on. I did some of my best work on that
laptop. If I could get that functionality in 3-5 lbs I'd be a happy
camper.

Robert