[SATLUG] Looking for A good MOBO manufacturer

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Sep 3 19:35:41 CDT 2009

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Peter Cross<pjcrux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > Yes it's that guy again asking silly questions....
> >
> > Does anyone run MSI boards? Does linux operate well on this manufacturers
> > boards?
> >
> > I have heard good things about ECS, Asus, and Gigabyte.
>
> On our newest cluster, the vendor chose MSI boards. I had to RMA 4 of
> them (out of 20) for bad hardware. Our previously Beowulf cluster we
> used ASUS mobos. They worked ok up until the capacitors started
> blowing. Our main cluster uses Tyan boards and that one has been the
> most stable related to hardware problems.

For the very first cluster I built in 1998 I chose supermicro boards. From the
25 boards I bought that were supermicro I had one of them go bad after about 8 years.
That is 24/7 running. Some of them we still keep running.
You might end up spending a little more for supermicros, but they are top quality.

-b