[SATLUG] Re: HP 710 all in one inkjet

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Thu Sep 3 21:30:23 CDT 2009

Cheryl --

I would actually recommend using an external surge protector in addition
to the UPS.  If you burn out the one _IN_ the UPS, you might have to
replace the entire UPS instead of a much less expensive surge strip (the
built-in surge protection would still be a backup to the external one in
case the external one fails).  And I would put it first in the circuit
(i.e., plugged directly into the wall).

One thing most people don't realize about the relatively inexpensive
surge protectors that are available in most stores is that when they
absorb the surge, they physically deteriorate.  After a few big surges
(or even a lot of little ones), it will deteriorate to the point that it
needs to be replaced.  This also applies to the ones built-into most UPS
units.  There's another kind out there that works on a different
principle that doesn't deteriorate that way, but they are much much more
expensive (and pretty hard to find, so I'm told).

Al Lesmerises