[SATLUG] Looking for A good MOBO manufacturer

John D Choate jdchoate at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 22:33:11 CDT 2009

On Thursday 03 September 2009 05:32:48 pm Peter Cross wrote:
> Hey all,
> Yes it's that guy again asking silly questions....
>
> Does anyone run MSI boards? Does linux operate well on this manufacturers
> boards?
>
> I have heard good things about ECS, Asus, and Gigabyte.
>
> All comments welcome...

I recently switched to an MSI mobo and am very, very happy. Though I did not get a economy board. Every few years I splurge for a higher end motherboard and in the years between I often get an economy board to tide me over until the next splurge.
I got the MSI K9N2 Diamond because I wanted a full-featured board to run a quad core Athlon and have an nvidia chipset and other bells and whistles. This board has been rock solid and altogether awesome. The only (possible) downside that I have run into is the fact that the user will probably need to provide an audio card. This board does not have onboard audio in lieu of the copper heatsink/heatpipe for the chipset.
This board does come with an Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi for PCIE-x1. Creative has made a linux driver for the X-Fi series and some distros, like Mandriva 2009.1, have snd-cxfi. But I had no luck with this card when I tried it (though I did not fully test all configurations for pulse audio).
Through the years I have switched from manufacturer to manufacturer, changing according my own needs or when a manufacturer's quality started waning. I started with Tyan, then Abit, then Asus, and now MSI. I used Asus for a while, but in recent years they have been shipping more and more DOA boards.
I also match manufacturers mobos and vid cards whenever possible, so I am running an MSI GeForce 8800GTS right now. When I upgrade that, it will definitely be another MSI nvidia card.
Oh yeah... distro-wise... I am running Mandriva 2010(Cooker) on it right now and was using Mandriva 2008.1 for several months before that.

John C.