[SATLUG] Re: HP 710 all in one inkjet

Geoff geofff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri Sep 4 07:37:21 CDT 2009

Cheryl Holmes wrote:
> wow! lots to consider!  thanks Al!  I wonder if it might just be better to
> install a Leviton circuit protector thing in the wall...I forgot what
> they're called but in Dad's house in SA after surges blew out all his
> appliances, we put those in and never had another problem.  Insurance would
> also cover losses after those were installed.  Don't know if that still
> holds true now days tho..c

You're thinking of a GFI - Ground Fault Interrupter.  That's just the
opposite effect you're looking for, if you want to keep your computer
system up and running.    Then again, if you had a GFI between the UPS
and the house voltage source, and then an external voltage surge
protector between the UPS and the computer stuff, you should be safer.

My personal feelings on a lightning strike are:

I don't care -HOW- much protection you install, if you take a direct
strike, you -are- going to loose some equipment.  Surge protectors are
nice for CPS irregularities, but who, in their right mind, would think
that a surge protector that contains a device that's no bigger than most
people's thumbnail, is going to proect equipment from a bolt of
lightning that's traveled thousands of feet and contains grizzelions of
volts?

Don't take this the wrong way, please - I'm not being sarcastic or
anything...

Sure - get the GFI, get the UPS with built-in surge protector, and put
another one outside of the UPS between it and the computer, but the
-safest- thing to do with your computer stuff when a storm comes, is to
unplug it!  Anything powered.  Monitor, computer, unplug the RJ-45,
too... just unplug it from the wall.  That's the safest bet!

Sincerely,
-Geoff