[SATLUG] Looking for A good MOBO manufacturer

Al Castanoli afcasta at satx.rr.com
Fri Sep 4 09:11:55 CDT 2009

I've administered several hundred Intel or AMD based servers, and find
them just about as reliable as Sun or HP (as in running HP-UX) hardware,
but they've had very good power conditioning equipment between them and
the mains.

Home based computers, though, are subject to more power spikes and
brownouts than rackmounted hardware in a controlled environment, and any
of the components of a motherboard can fail when abused by unsteady
power.  If you can't afford an UPS, I'd at least recommend a surge
protector.

That said, I've had relatively good experiences with ASUS and Gigabyte
motherboards in unprotected environments, and have had a higher failure
rate among lower priced ECS, MSI, and Tyan system boards on both
workstations and low-end servers.

Al Castanoli