[SATLUG] Looking for A good MOBO manufacturer

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 11:48:40 CDT 2009

On 9/4/09, Al Castanoli <afcasta at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I've administered several hundred Intel or AMD based servers, and find
>  them just about as reliable as Sun or HP (as in running HP-UX) hardware,
>  but they've had very good power conditioning equipment between them and
>  the mains.
>
>  Home based computers, though, are subject to more power spikes and
>  brownouts than rackmounted hardware in a controlled environment, and any
>  of the components of a motherboard can fail when abused by unsteady
>  power.  If you can't afford an UPS, I'd at least recommend a surge
>  protector.
>
>  That said, I've had relatively good experiences with ASUS and Gigabyte
>  motherboards in unprotected environments, and have had a higher failure
>  rate among lower priced ECS, MSI, and Tyan system boards on both
>  workstations and low-end servers.
>

>  Al Castanoli
>

>  > > On our newest cluster, the vendor chose MSI boards. I had to RMA 4 of
>  > > them (out of 20) for bad hardware. Our previously Beowulf cluster we
>  > > used ASUS mobos. They worked ok up until the capacitors started
>  > > blowing. Our main cluster uses Tyan boards and that one has been the
>  > > most stable related to hardware problems.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > > --
>  > > Jeremy Mann
>  > > jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu
>  > >
>  > > University of Texas Health Science Center
>  > > Bioinformatics Core Facility
>  > > http://www.bioinformatics.uthscsa.edu
>  > > Phone: (210) 567-2672
>  > > --

This is aimed at Al and Jeremy and anyone else with similar experience.
I have always heard about the distinction between Desktop and Server mobo's.
Typically the price differential is at least $100. The performance and
reliability is also quite different.
The last data I have shows a good Desktop mobo is at least $100 while
a good Server one is at least $200. So is the range still about
$100-$200 for a Desktop and $200-$400 for a Server?
Many people want to buy a $50 mobo and use it in a Server. Is this a
good deal ever?
Does it ever make sense to put a server mobo in a Desktop machine?
I wonder what the gamers use? Don't they typically overclock?
Thanks.

Robert